Epidemiological studies have demonstrated an association between the consumption of soy and improved health, particularly as a reduced risk for cardiovascular diseases and cancer, such as breast, prostate, endometrial, lung, and bladder cancer. Moreover, a number of animal models have supported the anticancer properties of soy These studies have isolated and identified an array of biologically active compounds or phytochemicals contained in soybean with cancer preventive effects.
Lunasin is one of the compounds isolated from soy and other cereal grains that has been investigated extensively to determine it’s action against various types of cancers. It has been demonstrated, by both cell culture and animal models, that lunasin exerts potent chemopreventive properties against several types of cancer, including breast, colon, and prostate cancer, acting through different cellular and molecular pathways.
These studies have been conducted at research insitutions around the world, including… Numerous funding sources have committed millions of dollars to furthering the understanding of how lunasin can be applied within the scope of existing and future cancer prevention and treatment programs.
Lunasin’s Cancer Studies
- The protective role of the Bowman-Birk protease inhibitor in soybean lunasin digestion: the effect of released peptides on colon cancer growth.
- The soybean-derived peptide lunasin inhibits non-small cell lung cancer cell proliferation by suppressing phosphorylation of the retinoblastoma protein.
- Lunasin sensitivity in non-small cell lung cancer cells is linked to suppression of integrin signaling and changes in histone acetylation.
- Preventive and therapeutic potential of peptides from cereals against cancer.
- Lunasin: attenuating effects on tumour growth in systemic malignancies.
- Understanding Lunasin’s biology and potential as a cancer therapeutic by utilizing Drosophila genetics.
- Soypeptide lunasin in cytokine immunotherapy for lymphoma.
- Lunasin–a novel chemopreventive peptide
- Activation of Natural Killer Cells by Soypeptide Lunasin and Cytokine Implication in Cancer Immunotherapy for Lymphoma.
- Potential of Lunasin Orally-Administered in Comparison to Intraperitoneal Injection to Inhibit Colon Cancer Metastasis in Vivo.
- Chemopreventive properties of Peptide Lunasin: a review.
- The soybean peptide lunasin promotes apoptosis of mammary epithelial cells via induction of tumor suppressor PTEN: similarities and distinct actions from soy isoflavone genistein.
- Lunasin potentiates the effect of oxaliplatin preventing outgrowth of colon cancer metastasis, binds to α5β1 integrin and suppresses FAK/ERK/NF-κB signaling.
- Differential gene expression of RAW 264.7 macrophages in response to the RGD peptide lunasin with and without lipopolysaccharide stimulation.
- Relationship between lunasin’s sequence and its inhibitory activity of histones H3 and H4 acetylation.
- Lunasin-aspirin combination against NIH/3T3 cells transformation induced by chemical carcinogens.
- Differential expression of thrombospondin (THBS1) in tumorigenic and nontumorigenic prostate epithelial cells in response to a chromatin-binding soy peptide.
- Lunasin induces apoptosis and modifies the expression of genes associated with extracellular matrix and cell adhesion in human metastatic colon cancer cells.
- Soybean peptide lunasin suppresses in vitro and in vivo 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene-induced tumorigenesis.
- Lunasin promotes apoptosis in human colon cancer cells by mitochondrial pathway activation and induction of nuclear clusterin expression.
- Amaranth lunasin-like peptide internalizes into the cell nucleus and inhibits chemical carcinogen-induced transformation of NIH-3T3 cells.
- Lunasin, a novel seed peptide, sensitizes human breast cancer MDA-MB-231 cells to aspirin-arrested cell cycle and induced apoptosis.
- Lunasin, with an arginine-glycine-aspartic acid motif, causes apoptosis to L1210 leukemia cells by activation of caspase-3.
- Complementary roles in cancer prevention: protease inhibitor makes the cancer preventive peptide lunasin bioavailable.
- Lunasin, a novel seed peptide for cancer prevention.
- Lunasin: a novel cancer preventive seed peptide that modifies chromatin.